At 4 months and a week now, I jotted down things that pregnancy has brought me. When does a smile come in and when does a cringe happen. Here goes:
– Hubby waking me up with a kiss on the forehead followed by another on the tummy.
– Hubby actually remembering (without reminders!) and making me hot chocolate in the morning, cutting and packing fruits for lunch dessert, lovingly hiding cookies and other snacks in my carry bag for office hungry hours.
– The extra attention from friends and cousins. Expected to do the least and pampered the most – bliss! 😀
– The wide range of maternity clothing options and a long day of shopping for them in the mall.
– An impromptu visit to the Ice cream shop late in the night for a No-Guilt-Ice-Cream-loaded-with-chocolate-chips-and-roasted-nuts. What calories? The doc wants me to have lotsa milk products, fruits and nuts 😉
– Appa Amma and the in-laws checking on me every day and reminding Hubby to be nice to me…every single time! Hehehe.
– The caring enquiries about what I am craving for and actually having some of them cooked and brought home by awesome friends and relatives here.
– Telling out to an unsuspecting (or so I think) acquaintance or colleague that ‘I am having a baby!’ and watching their face bloom into a happy smile followed by a hearty hug.
– Just lying down on the bed and softly moving my hands over the bulging tummy and imaging what s/he is up to 🙂
– Waking up every morning feeling heavier than the day before.
– Mid night trips to the loo. The bladder wins over sleepy eyes and tired head, every single time. Arrgh!
– Frequent throbbing head aches which are manageable, but annoying nevertheless. They don’t need a reason nor an invitation (of course!).
– Dressing up ( to the office, a casual get together or a grand party ) means sitting and staring at those nice looking ‘before’ clothes in the wardrobe and feeling depressed at how big you have gotten for any of them now. Sigh!
– The sex, or the lack of it 😦 The first 3 months was a total dry spell, thanks to the doc who wanted us to ‘take it easy’ because she saw some unexpected fluid outside the sac in my uterus. It’s well over the 4th month now and we have had interesting nights for not more than 2 times hence. What is with the hubby acting with all care and affection in bed when I would really appreciate some love and action!
– The hands-tied-down feeling when I am not able to go dandia dancing on navarathri nights, go river rafting on a weekend trip, go biking or running when I feel like it, go on any more adventurous vacation for some time to come. I know, I can still take up any/all of these. Many do. But, my history with pregnancy added with the paranoid advices and suggestions from everybody who cares, has actually tied me up. I stay satisfied with long walks, leisurely non adventure trips, some lucky days at the riverside strolling barefoot on the wet pebbles.
– Enquiring and advising is all fine. But, I really DO NOT want unsolicited suggestions and tips from few of those nosy women who think they are the gurus of it all since they have had one or two kids. Each woman is different and please understand that I cannot be you and do exactly what you ate, said or did.
– My list of food cravings is short, very short. The first line says ‘Fruits’, second says ‘Any dish tangy and spicy’ and the last line ( in big bold letters) says ‘Amma’s hand cooked meals’. Enough said. I miss my Amma ( yes Appa too) so very much….come to me soooooon 😦
– The thought of the D-day when I will go into labor..the hysterical pain, the crying. I can almost imagine it and tears of fear swell up. Billions have gone through it, so what big deal with me now, you ask? I have not been in any of their shoes and have only heard stories from people…in fact witnessed one closely.My daily prayers involve pleading to the Gods to make it all right..give me enough strength for a safe and normal delivery.Enough strength to look at my baby and hold it close with a smile..before passing out from exhaustion maybe 😉
I realize that the pluses totally outweigh the minuses when it comes to the final result. I can’t wait to hold that warm little wrapped bundle in my arms with two rosy cheeks and a pair of twinkling eyes peeping out curiously 🙂
By the way, Happy Dussehra to all those who celebrate. Be good and have fun!
Will bring you latest updates from the doc’s room in a few weeks. Maybe.. just maybe… I will have an announcement – BOY or GIRL ! 😀
Watch this space 😉